Singapore

14 March 2013

A Dilemma

It's good to be retired sometimes, you don't have to deal with dilemmas such as this.

In the Courier Mail today was an article about a young lady who was called into the office of her boss, and was told she would be promoted, including in her promotion would also be a pay rise. However this offer was withdrawn when it came to finalising her promotion. Here then is the dilemma. If you'd received that offer, how would you react? Would you take the promotion, just so it would look good on your CV? Or would you strongly demand the promised pay increase, thus taking a chance of being seen as pushy, greedy, opstropolous? Perhaps even loose the offer of promotion? Of course refusing an offer of promotion, for whatever reason, could be seen as not being ambitious. It really is a dilemma.

The article goes on to say that the young lady in question, at the time agreed to the offer but now a few years older, stated that at her age now, she would decline the offer.

What would you have done?


5 comments:

  1. Bill, you'd be surprised at how often it happens, esp in the public service. In my workaholic days I'd regularly get 'promoted' to effectively a much more senior job but the 'salary review' would take at least a year with no backpay or acknowledgment of the extra workload I'd taken on. Another occasion saw me take on a second managerial job when the person was on maternity leave but with no extra salary or intention to find anyone to replace her. After my inevitable physical and mental breakdown, I discovered that my department head was thrilled to find someone as hardworking, gullible and ambitious as me that he could string along and brag that he'd saved his unit an extra salary!

    I suppose these responsibilities and promotions looked good on my CV but at the end of the day, I fell apart, quit altogether and started on a completely new track so those 'achievements' are now out of date. In reality it's what you've been doing most recently that interests potential recruiters.

    So, would I do that again? NO way! Get EVERYTHING confirmed in WRITING and do not trust or willingly start doing extra work until it's in your hot little hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd take the promotion, promptly order new business cards, and then look for another job at the same level as the promotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice Carol, I think I would have done the same.

      Delete
  3. I once used to train staff for not much extra money over my normal job. The extra money was then halved. I promptly informed management that I would no longer train and I haven't since. Now, staff trainers do get quite a good bit of extra pay, but I have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Carol-Ann. If I am worthy of a promotion (which usually entails more work) then I'm worth a pay raise. I would look elsework for a job because I wouldn't want to work for a company who didn't value me anymore than that.

    ReplyDelete

Please click here to post your comments