Coldstream Guard captain Louis Hope, a scot, arrived in Brisbane in 1848. He established the first sugar mill specifically designed to crush sugar cane. He built Ormiston House in 1854 and married Susan Frances Dumaresque with whom he had three sons and five daughters.
Ormiston House, now a museum can be visited on weekends.
Ormiston House stands in a wonderful garden
The Dining Room
The Drawing Room
Mrs Hope's Sitting Room
Captain Hope's Study
The Kitchen in a separate buiilding
Captain Louis Hope, had a dispute with a neighbour who sued him for not crushing his sugar cane, when the mill broke down and needed new parts sent from Scotland. The court found in favour of the neighbour and ordered the captain to pay the man £1,200 compensation. This upset Louis Hope so much, he took his family back to the UK and settled in Derbyshire in England.
The Carmelite Convent next door
Today, Ormiston House is now owned by the Carmelite nuns who's convent is next door.